The First Year

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Walking Data

Posted by Braden

From Sept. 16 to Nov. 1, I wore a pedometer each day from the moment I got out of bed to the moment that I got back in, with the exception of time spent spent in the shower. Fortunately, I don't do much walking in there. Forgive me for only getting 47 days of data--my pedometer broke on Nov. 2.

The first 14 days I wore the pedometer for health class. The rest of the time, I wore it just because I was curious. And now, here are the results:

My average number of steps per day was 10,670. The maximum in a day was 26,675 on Friday, Nov. 1, and the minimum was 2,400 on Sept. 29 (a Sunday). Displayed below are the average number of steps taken and the standard deviation of the number of steps taken broken down by day of the week.

DAY--------------AVG-----STD
Sunday----------3,276----1,109
Monday---------7,717-----1,785
Tuesday---------10,886---2,311
Wednesday-----11,364----3,224
Thursday-------10,286----4,607
Friday-----------17,343----7,434
Saturday--------13,115----6,177

It is interesting to note on the chart below, "Steps per Day over 47 Days," that I typically had only one day with an unnaturally high number of steps in a weekend, either Friday or Saturday. The last weekend with recorded data was a bit of an exception: I went walking for a few hours on both Friday and Saturday. The bar graph "Average Number of Steps per Day" shows approximately the same pattern that my sleep data had: there's a general increase in steps throughout the week leading up to Friday, followed by a drop in steps on Sunday, and the process repeats. "Steps per Day by Day of the Week" is my favorite chart; it shows, pretty consistently, that Friday was the maximum, Sunday was the minimum, and Saturday I did whatever the heck I wanted, taking the high, low, or middle ground in terms of steps, depending on the week.





1 comment:

Camille said...

Little brother, you are so weird :)