The First Year

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Studying Environments

Posted by Braden

When I study, I sit at my desk, in front of my computer. When I e-mail or index, I sit at my desk, in front of my computer. When I read scriptures before going to bed or in the morning, I sit at my desk, in front of my computer. And I kind of like that. It's a comfortable chair, a nice desk, and my room is fairly quiet. My dormmates prefer to do their work while listening to music, sprawled on the couch, or sitting in bed, among other things.

I was at my friends' place the other day while a few of the girls were studying. The one in the kitchen said, "Ugh, you all are fun to talk to, but there are just too many distractions; I'm going to have to go finish this in my room." She got up and left. Literally not 30 seconds later, one of their bedroom doors opens up and a different dormmate comes out with her laptop, saying "Ugh! It's too quiet in there; it's driving me crazy. I'm going to study out here."

I have no idea whether one method or type of studying is better than the others. But I do think that if you ask 10 freshmen what their opinions are on it, you'll get at least 11 different answers!

No comments: