The First Year

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Gifts of a Lifetime

Posted by Laura

For the past five or so Christmases, my mom has been trying to stock me up with goods for college. She throws in a couple things that every college student needs. I have to admit, when opening those presents over the years, I always said, "Thank you," and acted excited, but in my head I'd think, “Why the heck did my mom go through all this effort to give me something that I will never use?”

Yet those college days have arrived, and I am so grateful for all of those gifts! They have made my life and college experience so much easier. This year, when I opened a cookbook and a casserole dish, I thought, “Alright, maybe this book will teach me how to not start the ward-dessert-night cookies on fire.” Or when I opened the school supplies, I knew exactly how to put them to use and how needed they were.

Even though these aren’t the kind of presents you can open up and play with all day, they are practical, and instead of just playing with them and then laying them on the shelf, I know that I will actually use them throughout my college years and beyond. I have finally reached that point in life where I can start using all of my Christmas gifts over the years.

My Christmas has been wonderful this year. I love the holiday season and all of the traditions that come along with it. I have enjoyed having a little break from school and being surrounded by my family and friends.

No comments: