The First Year

Friday, December 18, 2009

Final Lessons

Posted by Elise

My finals in a nutshell . . . a moderately large nutshell:

Lesson No. 1 (from my Book of Mormon final):
My Book of Mormon teacher is absolutely outstanding, and on top of that, he's an easy grader. I calculated that I needed a 73 to keep my A. So I didn't study, and I got an 82--no worries, right? Well, then I went back and rechecked my math and found out that I had done something wrong. I needed higher than a 73. In fact, with my 82 on the final, I ended up with an A- in my easiest class. Ouch. Moral of the story: Before you choose not to study, double check your math.

Lesson No. 2 (from my Human Development final):
Throughout the semester, we were assigned to read about 100 pages a week. Well, I usually lacked the time and I always lacked the patience. Needless to say, my reading fell behind. So for the final, I started studying early and I went the whole nine yards: flash cards, study guide, quizzing myself over and over. And it actually paid off: I got a 92 and ended up with an A- in the class. Moral of the story: No matter how much you slack off all semester, the last two weeks can make or break you.

Lesson No. 3 (from my Chemistry final):
This final was long, cumulative, and did I mention long? Chem was probably my hardest class this semester. Well, I take that back. Chem was certainly the class I was most worried about and the one with the most difficult concepts. So I went to review sessions and more review sessions and, yep, you guessed it, more review sessions. Anywho, the test took four hours. FOUR HOURS! Did I mention it took four hours? But I think it went relatively well. I should get my score in the next week or so. Moral of the story: If I think of one, I'll let you know.

No comments: