The First Year

Monday, December 28, 2009

The Last Christmas

Posted by Braden

So it finally came--my last Christmas before my mission. My newlywed sister and missionary brother were both away from home this year, and next year when I'm gone, they'll both be home for Christmas.

I always expected that last Christmas before my mission to be particularly mission-based as far as presents go: luggage, suits, Church books, a new scripture case. And I did get a little of that, but not nearly to the degree I expected. Surprisingly, I found myself asking Santa for a lot of kitchen supplies this year: a George Foreman Grill, wooden spoons, spatulas, silverware, a can opener, a muffin tin, etc. And I was excited about each and every one of those presents! I don't need toys or games anymore (though having a few is still nice)--I need house stuff!

On Christmas evening we got our phone call with my older brother in Taiwan. We got one hour of time, exactly. This was our second year making the call, and it won't be our last! Between seven boys, my family is going to be having a lot of "everybody-get-around-the-speakerphone-at-the-table" hours over the years. It's just odd to think that exactly one year from now, it is going to find me on the other side of that phone call! So soon? But Travis just left! But I just graduated! But I'm only 19! But . . . wow, that's soon. Fortunately, I've got a lot of Christmases left in my life to spare.

No comments: