The First Year

Friday, December 4, 2009

With friends like these, who needs a pet cricket?

Posted by Braden

I run my life by guilt:
  • "I should probably be studying . . . OK, I'll do it now and play later."
  • "I need to start getting some work/leadership experience for my college resume . . . alright, what options do I have?"
  • "I probably shouldn't eat ice cream right before going to bed . . . alright, I'll just wait until breakfast in the morning to eat something"


My roommate now serves as an anti-conscience for me, and it may not be altogether unhealthy.

Me: "I probably shouldn't eat anything before I go to bed..."
Him: "Oh, suck it up--go eat something!"
Me: "You know what? Yeah, I think I might!"

Me:"I'd love to . . . but I should probably finish the chapter while I'm here and in the studying mode . . . "
Him:"Oh, you're always studying! Go play volleyball. The homework will get done; it always does!"
Me:"That's true--I will finish it tonight before I go to bed. OK, see you in a few hours!"

Me:"Yeah, but I can't just NOT attend the lecture . . . it's free information!"
Him:"You've been to the last five that the college hosted. You've earned a day off! Stay home and do something for fun!"
Me:"I don't know that I have time for something fun . . . "
Him:"Shut up--we're playing Super Smash Bros. Get over here!"
Me:"OK. That sounds good."

It's different . . . but now that my id has a little bit of a boost, I find myself doing a lot of things that otherwise I wouldn't be doing. Not bad things, just simple little enjoyable things that I wouldn't normally be able to convince myself to do. Thank goodness for complementary roommates!

No comments: