The First Year

Monday, December 21, 2009

Now or Never

Posted by Braden

There are some things in life that only college kids are stupid enough to do. For typical people, at no other time in their lives are they quite so able to eat funny things, sleep odd hours, and do, well, stupid things. I felt like I had neglected the last of those three activities, so when the opportunity presented itself soon after finals, I took advantage of it.

It was Wednesday night, we were all done with our finals, and a guy suggested, "Hey, we should go jump in Utah Lake to celebrate!" Of course, we all told him that he was crazy, but a girl with a car offered to drive, and before long he was putting on a swimsuit. The girls offered to make us hot chocolate afterward if we did, so then before long, I was putting on a swimsuit too.



On the way to the lake, we saw a sign outside that showed the temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The lake was hard to get to and didn't have very well-defined banks, so we went to Provo River instead! We got out of the car, shivered at the breeze coming through the canyon, stripped down to our swimsuits (just the three boys), jumped in the
river, sat down, rolled around, then ran back to our clothes and blankets.

It actually wasn't so terrible--I couldn't feel my feet after the first two-ish seconds in the water. Feeling in my feet came back about 20 minutes later, but during that time, there really wasn't that much discomfort; it just felt like novocaine for the feet. Then we went back to our home base at the girls' house, and they made us hot chocolate!

We did notice blood on the kitchen floor after we'd been home a few minutes. We had no idea whose it was since none of us could feel anything. After we found the offending heel that had been cut on the rocks in the riverbed, we noticed blood on the carpet, and we spent the next hour getting it out.



The whole escapade was a rather pointless, thoughtless, careless, stupid thing for us to do . . . but I didn't die, and now I have a fun story to tell about the crazy things I did in college!

1 comment:

ldsjaneite said...

Yes, I still wonder if I should regret or rejoice that I didn't join the few escapades of Polar Bear swimming in the Mississippi weather during my Nauvoo (fall) BYU semester. You're right--survival of silliness leaves for great storytelling for the rest of your life.