The First Year

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sixth Graders, YIKES!!!

Posted by Ashley

Yesterday, for my physical science class, I had the opportunity to go to an elementary school and teach about the solar system. My physical science class is for those going into elementary education. This whole semester we have been preparing lessons to teach to students at Farrer Elementary. It was almost like a science fair. The elementary students came in and went around to each of the stations set up by us college students. My lab peers and I were the lucky ones to teach the sixth graders—the kids who think they are all that because they are the oldest. We were not too thrilled. The topics we were assigned were pretty basic; I was given the topic of the relative position and movement of the earth, moon, and sun. Most sixth graders already know this, so it was interesting trying to teach them. It was a really good experience, though, to be able to go into an elementary school and have that experience.

I also volunteer for Tutor Outreach to Provo Schools (TOPS); I go to Wasatch Elementary every Friday and help with math time in a fifth-grade class. I get to assist the teacher and interact with the students, and it's helped me see that I really do enjoy being in an elementary-school atmosphere. I believe I have made the right decision to go into teaching.

No comments: