The First Year

Friday, April 23, 2010

Free at Last

Posted by Laura

I am done with finals! Wahoo! It is a priceless feeling. All of that studying and hard work and worrying and studying and cramming and... and... and studying in preparing for one last test has reached its end.

One of my favorite days to walk on campus is the last couple of days of finals. You can look at the face of someone walking by and immediately interpret how their week is going. Some are totally at peace and may have a few drips of ice cream smeared on their lips from celebrating their freedom. Others are in denial and have a strange look on their face, suggesting that they are and thinking, "I've still got time." Some are holding a study guide in their hands and would run right into you if you didn't dodge their studying path. I have even run into a few who are very open with their panic, asking their study buddy something to the extent of, "Tell me everything you know about the Great Depression in the next 60 seconds!" Yet as I was driving in the car and saw the clock strike 10 p.m., there was an immediate flow of relief that filled the surrounding air and a feeling of excitement and celebration. Ready or not, finals happened, and now they are done.

I now have six days of pure joy until I begin my spring classes, and I don't think I will have a problem figuring out how to spend them. I feel so good about "last semester," and I was relieved to see how everything really came together in the end. I feel so proud of all I was able to accomplish, and my first year has taught me that I really can do hard things. I have loved BYU and look forward to the years to come.

No comments: