The First Year

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Drinking from a Fire Hydrant

Posted by Braden

Today in mission prep, we got fried. The topic was "The Second Coming," and Brother Bott explained that he once gave a thorough lesson on it at Education Week, for which he was given three hours and was only able to present a tenth of the material he prepared; so today he had essentially 30 hours of information to give us in 50 minutes. He said it would be like drinking from a fire hydrant, so just try to survive and don't forget to gasp for a breath of air every once in a while. Well, I'd heard that sort of comment before—"We've got a lot to cover, so pay close attention because we're going to move fast." Bott is an extremely good teacher, and the subject material is particularly interesting, so I knew it'd be a good class.

Fifty minutes later, we finished, and we all just kind of sat there, fried. He finished with a comment like, "I'm sorry, that's probably the lousiest overview of the Second Coming you've ever had; we had to skip over so much!" And I left thinking, "Dang . . . that's probably the most thorough lesson on the Second Coming I've ever had." Talking to one girl after class, she said, "I had to sort of zone out there at the end to protect my finite little brain from exploding." And to think I get college credit for this fire-hydrant drink.

I feel so blessed to be at a college where I can have awesome religious classes like this from awesome religion professors like him every semester!

No comments: