The First Year

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hello, Goodbye

Posted by Laura

I think one of the hardest things in high school was saying goodbye. It was hard saying goodbye to friends, knowing that we were going our separate ways in life, not knowing when we would see each other again. It was hard saying goodbye to the senior power, knowing that I'd would have to painfully endure names such as "freshie" and "squashmore" all over again. It was kind of scary realizing that I was now considered an adult, technically, and was gaining much more independence than I'd ever tasted before.

And yet, with all the fears and worries, it has been exciting—something that I could never put a face value on. I have gained so much over the last year of my life. I've experienced an abundance of new thrills attending BYU. When I look back to that first campus tour at New Student Orientation, I can't believe how fast it has all gone by. It seems like I was entering as a brand new student just yesterday. And after my finals I will be retiring the name of "freshman" with hard-earned calluses from my study habits, now a few steps closer to graduation.

Life goes by so fast; it makes me realize how important it is to live in the moment and not miss out on great opportunities. Reaching the end of the semester and saying goodbye to friends, teachers, and classes hasn't gotten any easier since high school, but I think I have learned that there are a lot of hellos in my future.

No comments: