The First Year

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Final Crunch

Posted by Laura

Today I finished my two hardest finals of the semester: microbiology and chemistry. They were scheduled one right after the other, which made the past few days of studying hard, trying to find a balance in studying enough for both. I had my microbiology final first, and the professor surprised the class by telling us that the pretest from the first week of class would be the final. My thoughts raced back four months as I tried to recall the questions; I remembered how I had never heard any of the vocabulary or microbiology language before. It was overwhelming to be exposed to all of that information at the outset and see an overview of the material we were going to cover. Yet as I retook the pretest this morning, I understood the questions, and it made me realize how much I have truly learned and understood over the semester. It was a hard class for me and it really pushed me to work hard, but I also really enjoyed it and have already seen how relevant the information is.

My chemistry final brought back memories of the ACT. It was timed: 60 questions within a five-minute time limit. I think the hardest part was pacing myself to get through all of the questions and finish on time. The whole class jumped with panic when our teacher made the three-minute announcement, and the air was thick with tension. We have to wait about a week to get our scores, but it feels nice to have the test done with and to see how the many hours of studying paid off.

Finals are scary and stressful. It's easy to be overwhelmed with the final crunch at the end of the semester. But having made it through two semesters, I know that everything really does work out in the end.

I have loved being at a university where you can gain comfort from having class prayers; it makes such a difference. It has been wonderful to have both secular and nonsecular education in all my classes and to see how each subject relates to the gospel in different aspects.

No comments: