The First Year

Friday, September 11, 2009

Petty Little Freshman

Posted by Adam

One of the major downsides of being a freshman is the fact that, while being a pre-me, not a single girl on campus is interested! So here's the story. I go to my social dance class and I meet this girl in there, the name of said girl will remain unknown for her safety; she seemed like a pretty cool girl, and one of those people where you can tell a friendship will easily spring. So we danced for a good 30 flirty seconds and then switched partners and so forth.

After the class I headed to the Cougareat to grab some munchies. As I, a lonely freshman, look for a table with people I can meet, I see her sitting at a table by herself. She spotted me and invited me over to sit by her. I've often been told that I look at least 21, although I'm only 18—this can work for and against me. In most cases it's best to let the opposite sex just assume you're older, because when they find out, as "nameless girl from my social dance class" did, all conversation is shut off, and all interest in being peers is eliminated. I mean, I wasn't trying to date this girl, I was just having a friendly conversation, and it was a good solid conversation up until, "Oh . . . (awkward silence) . . . you look older than you are." After that point I probably got a good three sentence fragments out of her little mouth.

I mean honestly, are we freshman really that different? I mean, sure it's my first year of college, and maybe I don't own a car, or maybe I don't have a major, or maybe I don't have the refined stamina of an RM . . . but it's not like I'm a third grader or something, I can still carry on a coherent conversation with someone. Sigh, if this had been the only instance where this had happened, I wouldn't be making a fuss, but I have experienced this three; count em, three times, and am getting quite tired of it. In fact I have firmly resolved that I'm going to tell people that I'm 22 and just got back from Madagascar on my mission. It's goof proof, if not a little sacrilegious, but I want a woman!

7 comments:

Keeley said...

1. I actually know someone who's 22 and just back from Madagascar. Really.

2. Why do you want a woman? Will that "complete" you?

3. Don't even worry about "wanting a woman". Just drop it! Just go be friendly and have fun. Forget about girlfriends or whatever. Seek to have fun with as many as you can before you go on your mission. Not to lead them on and be a playboy - but just to have fun! =) Set up group dates or whatever. This is freshman year! Why so serious? =)

4. That has to be the most irritating thing in the world when girls act like that. OTOH if they're 22, they're looking for some serious dating and they *can't* serious date you because you're about 3 years out from that. Furthermore there are some young men - and for all they know you may be one of them - that think a girl is all hot on them because they smile and say hi. It's dangerous stuff for a girl. Because if they're just being friendly and you think it means something more, at some point they're going to get called a flirt or a lead-on or something worse and that, let me tell ya, is NOT FUN. So girls tend to avoid that kind of pain right from the start by the behaviour you mention in your post.

Stinks for you. =( Blame it on the idiot guys who acted in such a way as to bring about this behaviour in girls.

When it happens again, either just keep talking happily as if you haven't noticed a difference in the conversation, or point out the elephant in the room in a non-bitter humourous way and laugh about it. It may relieve the tension.

Good luck. =)

Unknown said...

You should be focused on school and preparing for your mission, and not so much on getting a girlfriend, in my opinion.

Freshman year is about having fun, so don't be so serious about the dating stuff.

Anonymous said...

um. please. really.

IF YOU ARE GOING ON A MISSION, WHY DO YOU "WANT A WOMAN?"
(that sounded pretty lame when you said it anyway. sorry for the harshness.)

CONSIDER THIS PLEASE:
ever think a girl doesnt want to get involved with a guy who is leaving on their mission because she doesnt want to have to deal with the heartbreak that always brings?

im sure its hard to deal with girls not being interested when they find out how young you are, but you also probably have a ward full of freshman girls who would love to just hang out and go on dates! (and if you dont, then go find some girls your age! let them know how old you are because no girl likes to be decieved.) they would love to be friends, even if a lot of the older girls wouldnt. you shouldnt be focused on finding a girlfriend and they shouldnt be focused on finding a boyfriend at this point.

although dating goes on A LOT around here, we shouldnt be at school for the single purpose of dating. another thing... i dont know if this applies to you at all... but if you are thinking about having a girlfriend to write you on your mission, if thats why you "want a woman", stop. because having a girl to do that may sound great, but really just complicates things times 10. i know from experience.

Cindy said...

haha this made me laugh. Poor premie. Sorry to hear about your woman woes but it was thoroughly entertaining. What can I say? Some girls lack social tact.

Anonymous said...

Adam, freshman also equal someone that has not been on their mission. Some girls just don't want to date a non-return missionary (RM).

Try just making friends that are girls. It'll be easier when you do go on a mission and you won't keep beating yourself on the head for not having one. Besides the more people you meet the more chances that you'll find that special girl.

If you want to date just go on group dates. It'll make the girl feel more comfortable and they are more likely to say yes when you ask. Good luck.

Katie said...

haha. this makes me laugh. especially because you feel like EVERY girl on campus won't pay attention to you. Obviously some girls are interested in Premies because a good bunch of them somehow get girls to wait for them. And, older girls still will date freshman...I'm 20 and I've gone on some dates with freshman/18 year olds. Maybe that's weird? haha. This post made me laugh though. I'm sure you'll find plenty of girls to date.

amber said...

ahahahaha. this provided a good chuckle. but hey, looking old isn't all that bad. i'm 18 and i've been told i look like a 6th grader. things could be worse :]