The First Year

Monday, September 21, 2009

From Spoiled Rotten, to New Fridge

Posted by Laura

I would not consider myself to be a morning person at all, however, a few days ago I tried to be a good and diligent student by waking up early to put in some extra studying time for a quiz I had that day. I decided to reward my diligence with a bowl of ice cream to really get my brain working in these dawn breaking hours. To my dismay, when I began scooping the ice cream out, it was pretty soggy and almost like a thick liquid. Instead of ice cream waking me up, the thought that our fridge was broken hit me with greater force. I went and woke up my roommates up and we began transferring the freezer items that were still cold enough to be safe, to the back room freezer, and oh how I wish there was a back room fridge as well, but there isn't.

So we gathered up enough courage to scatter our fridge food throughout other apartments in the ward, in hopes that all was not lost. I think we were able to scatter everything except for our mustard, ketchup, and pickles, which we ended up putting in the back freezer to keep cold (and the sour cream we ended up smelling later). We were able to save all this food because of my diligence of being a good student, which was comforting. So for the next little while, we managed by keeping a list of all the apartments and what foods they had stored for us.

Today, we have a sleek, new, black, and cold fridge in our apartment that holds all of our own food and ice cream. It is so nice to know that my cold 2 percent milk is waiting for me just a few feet away instead of a couple flights of stairs up and around the corner. So, when it comes down to it, being a diligent student and waking up in the morning to eat ice cream really does pay off.

No comments: