The First Year

Monday, January 4, 2010

Too Good to Be True

Posted by Laura

It was hard to wake up this morning after having the luxury of sleeping in over the holiday break. This semester all of my days start at 8 or 9 a.m., which is a bit different for me (last semester every day began at 10 a.m.). Yet, though I am not a morning person, I was able to wake up with time to spare. As I reached my first class, statistics, I noticed that something wasn't right. Every single person in the room was a girl! I hadn't started learning statistics yet, but statistically, that shouldn't happen in a math class. It turned out I forgot a zero in the room number and mistakenly entered a marriage, home, and family class. It's amazing the difference one number can make. :) Despite the confusion, I was still able to make it to the packed statistics classroom on time.

After I made it out of statistics, I had Dance 280, Church history, chemistry, and Book of Mormon. I was really looking forward to my last class, Book of Mormon, because I'd heard from multiple people that the teacher was really good. When I walked in, I was shocked. I thought that somehow, being in a very girl-dominated major, my luck had changed. I walked into a class that was 99 percent male. At that point, I thought it was definitely going to be my favorite class of the semester. But then my luck crumbled underneath me when the teacher said, "How many of you in here didn't realized that this section was an RM section?" I sheepishly raised my hand and realized that it was too good to be true. After switching class sections multiple times, waiting for an opening in the section with this teacher who I'd heard was so good, I signed up for an RM section. Luckily, the teacher was nice about it and offered to let me stay in the class, but after singing "The Spirit of God" with a class full of boys and being the only high voice, I decided to transfer.

Still, I am so excited for this new semester! I sincerely loved my classes today and can't wait to learn in them.

No comments: