The First Year

Monday, January 4, 2010

Moving In Again

Posted by Braden

At the end of last semester, I packed up all of my stuff into suitcases and boxes again, and moved it down two floors into the kitchen of my new apartment. When I arrived at my apartment Thursday night, the unpacking process began . . . again . . . in a way awfully similar to the way first semester began.

It gave me a chance to reorganize my things, so that was nice. Little things that had bugged me all semester last year, but never enough for me to do something about it, were finally fixed. For example, "why do I keep my cans in the eye-level cupboard when I could be sticking my bananas and breads here and stick the cans in the cupboard under the counter? It'd make more sense to keep the heavy stuff lower, and now I won't need to leave my bananas on the counter." So I changed it. Looking at my closet now, I can see which clothes I didn't wear once last semester, and stuff them in an obscure cubby hole instead of having them take up the high-premium space in the main part of the closet. My wastebasket, instead of being placed by the door where I'd need to throw trash at it (only successfully so about half of the time), is now under my bed, within arm's reach of my computer desk chair, where I spend most of my time when I'm in my room. It's nice having a second try with all of these trivial things!

One thing that has changed--I was the second boy to show up at my apartment last semester, so I grabbed a very conveniently placed bathroom cupboard, and my favorite fridge nooks, and that little cupboard in the kitchen. Moving to my new room this semester, I was the last boy to move in, since I'm the only new roommate, so I grabbed whatever space the last guy had! Sadly, he didn't use my favorite fridge nook or particularly favorite bathroom cupboard. It's not a terrible thing, but I keep on opening the wrong doors in the apartment and being somewhat confused for a brief moment each time before remembering that even though this is the same layout as my last apartment, it's a different apartment!

Along with that have come other changes. These guys have dinner together most nights of the week. They do "community milk," and they use the dishwasher most of the time instead of hand washing the dishes they used and putting them back. I'll be curious to see what "apartment policies" I'm going to have to adapt to, because whatever they're already doing, the four other boys are already used to and most likely prefer! On the plus side, instead of hard rock heavy on the bass coming from the next room, I think I hear MoTab right now. :D

No comments: