The First Year

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Different the Second Time

Posted by Braden

For the first semester, I showed up almost two weeks before the first day of class. And I needed that time! By the time I'd moved in, bought books, found the buildings my classes were in, met my roommates, attended half of the New Student Orientation activities, and gotten all situated, it was just about time for school to start. I distinctly remember thinking at that time, "I am SO glad I have my sister here to help me figure out what in the world I'm doing and that I didn't show up two days before the semester started or something crazy like that!"

Getting ready for second semester took about a day. I returned to my dorm, grabbed my books today, and that's really all I have to do. I know where my classes are going to be just by looking at the room numbers. I have an add/drop card ready that I grabbed from last semester. I know how to use my meal plan and my Signature Card, and I have a system for my groceries already. When I want to go do something, I have dozens of people that I can look up, call, or even walk into their apartment without knocking because I know them well enough. I already have a calling in my ward, and I know when church and ward prayer are. We've got plans for FHE this Monday. And I'm not nervous in the least for the first day of classes, the first round of exams, or just about anything else this semester. College is so much more fun when you know what you're doing!

No comments: