The First Year

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Braden v. Bookstore: Round 2

Posted by Braden

Today I experienced my second round of buying textbooks--and this time, I won. Last semester I spent over $600; this semester my grand total is . . . *drumroll* . . . $120!

I did buy one book online this semester, so instead of paying $140, I paid $55. When I return it at the end of the semester for 50 percent less than the Bookstore price, I'll be making $15, which means my grand total for this semester is ACTUALLY going to be something closer to $60!

I also used the BYU Book Exchange Web site to buy two books for my history of creativity class, paying a grand total of $45 instead of $119 (if I'd bought them new) or $89 (if I'd bought them used). But besides that, I just lucked out! Instead of having to buy $100–$200 biology, physics, and chem books, I bought a $15 mission prep book and a $15 engineering-graphics manual, and my student leadership and volleyball classes don't have any textbook requirements!

The money that I got from last semester's textbook sellback could pay for all of my textbooks for this semester multiple times over! What do you have to say that, you heinously overpriced textbooks? Go ahead, say it: this semester, Braden won.

No comments: