The First Year

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cooking up a Storm...

Posted by Laura

Unlike some other wards which have ward prayer, we have ward dessert night every Sunday. It's fun to mix and mingle with each other to try to learn names, and I think the desserts alone draw big crowds.

Each Sunday during priesthood and Relief Society, they assign out five or so boxes of Betty Crocker cookie mixes. If you leave church with a box, you are supposed to call up a boy/girl to bake it with and then bring it for the ward to eat at the dessert night. It's actually quite the idea, and they have explained to everyone countless times that if someone calls you up to bake cookies, don't worry and freak out, it's not a date. :)

So today I was assigned a box--a sugar cookie mix--and with it came the assignment to call up and ask someone to bake it with me. I asked Matt, one of the most hilarious people I have met at BYU, and together we baked cookies. It was an unforgettable experience. We about burned down the apartment twice because we burnt one batch to the crisp and then caught the other on fire.

We threw it in the sink, so it became a soggy, reeking mess. The smoke probably took a couple years off of my life, and it woke my roommates up from their Sunday naps. Luckily, I had an extra brownie mix in the pantry, which was the key to our success because you can't tell if you burn brownies because they are already brown. :)

We brought a plate of brownies and frosted black cookies to distribute to the ward with pride.

1 comment:

Keeley said...

Hahaha! Ew ew ew ew gross!!!! =D