The First Year

Sunday, October 4, 2009

No Pez...but still Conference

Posted by Braden

My mother did an excellent job training us children from a young age to look forward to general conference weekend.

Before it started, we'd move the couch and a few extra chairs into the computer room, and we kids would stake out our little domains where we could set up our notebook, blanket to sit on, water bottle, etc.

During each session, we got one packet of Pez candies. With 12 candies in each pack, and each session 120 minutes, I always had a chart to fill in whenever another 10 minutes had passed by and I was allowed to eat one more Pez to stay on schedule.

We also played the classic general conference games--mark the speaker on your big picture of all the general authorities . . . count how many times they said the word "faith" . . . write down the reference whenever they refer to a "scripture mastery" scripture from seminary, etc.

My favorite part by far though: every Saturday, between the two afternoon sessions, we'd go out to eat as a family. And not just out to eat--we went to the all-you-can-eat buffet place! I can still taste the delicious, savory, tangy, juicy, spicy, salty, sugary . . . you get the idea.

For this first general conference away from home, I sat at my desk--the one I do homework at every night. I pulled the streaming video up on the computer, and watched it, taking notes. Between sessions, I made myself lunch . . . from the ingredients in the fridge and my cupboard . . . like I do every day . . .

I went to the Marriott Center for priesthood session, since it isn't shown anywhere else, but this time there was no ice cream social beforehand, and the seats didn't have those nifty little comfortable cushions that church seats do.

Sunday I did the same thing--I watched conference on my computer. Without Pez.

And yet, conference was just as enjoyable as ever! It seems I get more out of the talks with every passing six-month period! I took lots of notes and wrote a few dates in my planner in the next couple weeks to pull them out and reread them, to make sure I don't forget what they told us to do. At hall council we talked about our favorite talks, and I'll be sure to look them up as soon as the Ensign is published online.

Yes, it was a bummer not having the little sugar-packed Pez every 10 minutes on the dot. And man, would I sure enjoy going to the buffet with my little brothers and sister again! But I watched the same talks and heard the same music as my family back home--albeit 2 hours earlier than I'm used to having conference--and the meeting itself was just as enjoyable here as it ever was back home.

Who knew? The Church is still true--even without Pez!

1 comment:

ldsjaneite said...

Pez. What an interesting Conference concept.