The First Year

Monday, November 2, 2009

Extra Motivation

POSTED BY PETER B. GARDNER (BA '98), SENIOR EDITOR

Even though Terrance was invited to participate in the 6 a.m. lifting class with hopes of walking on to the football team as an offensive lineman, he still found himself mired in relative anonymity.

Here and there, though, he'd get a chance to make an impression. "Every now and then, the coaches would stop by and watch us lift," he says. "A couple of times I'd be lifting and Coach Mendenhall would be up on a treadmill, . . . right in front of my station. I'd be like, 'Well, time to push myself harder.' "

Terrance's most memorable encounter came one morning while tying on his shoes in the weight room. The first one there, he was startled when Coach Mendenhall walked in and looked at him. The coach gave a brief greeting and walked past, only to stop, turn around, and say, "You went to Cibola High School, didn't you?" Terrance verified this, and Mendenhall said, "I remembered," before continuing on his way.

"It was really cool that he remembered me," says Terrance.

No comments: