The First Year

Sunday, November 29, 2009

New Thanksgiving Memories

Posted by Braden

The weekend before Thanksgiving was my sister's wedding, which I flew home for. The weekend of Thanksgiving was thus spent in the empty dorm building, since I'd just been home and it didn't make sense to fly back and forth twice in two weeks--and it was a blast!

  • Since I had just seen my family (and because I hadn't been too homesick even before I went home the previous week), there was zero moping around wishing I was somewhere else.
  • When the last of my five dormmates had left, I cleaned the house . . . and it stayed clean all five days of break!
  • While I was cleaning the house, and then throughout the rest of the week, I played whatever music I wanted, as loud as I wanted it, without headphones. I turned the thermostat up from our usual 68 degrees to a balmy 73 and basked in my newly found warmth.
  • My roommate wasn't using his side of the room, he being a few hundred miles away, so I used it. Had my papers out on his side of the desk and tossed my shoes at the feet of his bed, because, frankly, he never knew and therefore didn't care! I straightened it all up before anyone got back.
  • I had Thanksgiving meal on Thursday with five others from my ward who'd stayed at the dorms. The bishopric used the ward budget to buy us a 10-lb. turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, etc., all already cooked. It was delicious, and it was fun to be alone together and chat for a bit.
  • With all the extra time and no distractions, I got a lot of good work done! Most nights, I went to bed around 3 A.M., woke up about 11 A.M., and worked on homework, scholarship applications, semester projects, etc. until 7 or 8 P.M., when I'd go watch a movie with someone. Being productive felt good, as did watching movies! It was just the right combination of work and play. I never would have been able to get so much done if I'd gone home for the break.
  • I also got around to reading half of a novel one night--me, reading a book, for fun! That hasn't happened since I came here! It felt so good to be reading for fun again.


I'm very excited that Christmas break is only three weeks away now and can't wait to see my family and go home then! But man, this ghost town Thanksgiving was certainly one to be remembered!

1 comment:

ldsjaneite said...

I certainly missed my family, but I did love Thanksgivings at BYU. There's something neat and ghostly about the silent campus...and no one to disturb as you read late into the night! :-)