The First Year

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mass Production

Posted by Braden

I absolutely love making and eating burritos--mostly the "eating burritos" part. I did have the problems though that:

1) they took a while to prepare by the time I got out, used, and put away all the ingredients

2) half-opened cans of beans kept on going bad on me in the fridge when I didn't finish them soon enough!

So I went into mass production. One Saturday I bought all the ingredients, came home, made 30 delicious burritos with all the ingredients I want in them, and stuck them in the freezer.

They took about 30 minutes to make, and now I have a meal in 1:30 of microwave time! Also, the burritos are absolutely scrumptious, and homemade to boot! (And therefore, probably a wee bit healthier--but only a wee bit.)

My roommates observed how good the burritos smelled and tasted, as well as how convenient they were, and two of them did the same thing for themselves! (We have approximately 75 burritos in our freezer at the moment.) They added little extras like corn, beef, and peppers to theirs.

The burittos were also way cheap! The ingredients cost about $12 total, and I have two burritos instead of one about every 5th time I have them, when I'm extra hungry. $12/25 meals = $.48/meal. My food plan, the absolute smallest one I could get, gives me $30/week, so about $1.43 per meal. Consider that breakfast is also cheaper than the other meals because a half gallon of milk and gigantic bag of cereal go a long way, and that means that I have a lot of extra money left for buying steak, snacks, and ice cream with girls on dates! And they're just so delicious, too!

The best part though: I no longer have to worry about half-opened cans of beans.

Ingredients:
1 can refried beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili
4 cups rice
1 jar medium salsa
4 tablespoons sour cream
lots and lots of cheese
30 tortillas

1 comment:

Camille said...

I just found one of your famous burritos in the back of my freezer! (I think it was part of the leftovers you gave me when you moved out) Thanks little brother!