The First Year

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Day Will Come

Posted by Laura

As I walked out of my apartment one day this week, my roommates were watching the end of the movie The Best Two Years. It was at that part in the train station where he fulfills his companion's promise, "The day will come when you will have a fluent conversation with someone in the new language without even realizing it." As I was walking up to campus, there was a car that pulled up next to me and the passengers asked if I could explain where the JKB was. Without even thinking about it, I was able to direct them in the right direction with ease. On the rest of the walk to the library, I thought about how I had just spoken fluently to someone in the college language, and I felt so proud of how much I have learned and accomplished while attending BYU. The first couple of weeks, I had a couple of cars of people pull up to me in a similar manner, asking for directions. I would usually use the excuse that I was a freshman and told them that if they kept driving straight, they were bound to find it. I think I have gained more confidence in my campus navigation skills.

No comments: