The First Year

Monday, February 8, 2010

Housing! AAAAHHH!!!!

Posted by Elise

We barely started winter semester and we’re already scrambling to find housing for next year. It’s a little bit ridiculous. In the process of looking for housing, we realized that many housing complexes have a stigma or stereotype. Of course, the stigmas aren’t important enough to sway our decision, but I think they are so interesting. I wonder how those stigmas started. They seem like self-fulfilling prophecies to me. For example, if a certain complex has X reputation, it will attract X kind of people.

I think stigmas are ridiculous and I’m baffled by how prevalent they are. My roommate and I were thinking of living in a complex that apparently has a “partier” stigma attached to it. Here’s the conversation we had with probably five different friends on five separate occasions:
    Us: We’re thinking of living at ___.
    Them:
    (Raised eyebrow.)
    Us:
    What? What’s wrong?
    Them:
    Oh it’s nothing. . . . I was just gonna say . . . but it’s not a big deal.
    Us:
    C’mon.
    Them:
    Well I just heard that __________. But it’s not a big deal. It’s not like people actually believe that. Just forget I mentioned it. (Friend is squirmy and apologetic.)
    Us:
    (Laughing on the inside).

No comments: