The First Year

Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day Was Fun :)

Posted by Sini

My first day of classes was pretty easy and it was fun. I'm excited to be at school and you can call me crazy but I've honestly been waiting for school to start. I almost got bored being on a vacation. :) But I have to say I'm a little bit scared of the next semester and the next year. I just wrote down some of my assignments and tests to my calendar and there's a whole bunch of them. I wonder if I'm going to make it through the semester (with my poor English) and get respectable grades.

So far I've enjoyed my time at BYU and I really love everything about it. But then every once in a while I get scared, frightened, and worried. And for the first time in my life (even though I lived alone for four years before I came here), I've really missed my family. I'm not homesick, no, but just miss my dear family. They are so far away and I have no idea when I will see them again. Luckily these sad feelings and thoughts usually pass away pretty soon. I'm an optimistic person . . . I'm adjusting to the new culture and new country pretty good. And all the friendly people around me (including my WONDERFUL roommates) have made it so much easier. It is so comforting to know that I'm not alone and that everybody is willing to help me if I need help.

I'm honestly so thankful to be here! It wasn't the easiest thing to come here at all. And I'm so glad I made it! I'm excited for my freshman year and I'm looking forward to all the experiences it'll bring. It will be great (and maybe a little scary and hard sometimes, but that's life I guess)!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Poor English??? You'll do fine, I'm sure. Just keep up your good attitude. By the way, I visited Helsinki last year and loved it. It was this time of year and summer was definitely over!

Nick Newman said...

Mita Kuuluu, Sini? From what I've noticed, most Finns have better english than a lot of Americans. It's always fun to see Finns on campus, and it will be exciting to see how things go for you at BYU.

Hyvaa Suomi!

Keeley said...

Ooooh, I remember the whole disorienting culture shock thing. Hang in there, it DOES get better, and soon it'll be like home. =)

Good luck!